Recreation is one of the blessings in this stressful life. Many new modes of recreation have emerged in recent times. One of them is the recreation vehicles.
How about having a dynamic house and accommodation? Coaches, caravans, motorhomes, campervans, pop-up campers, travel campers, and fifth trucks are all examples of recreational vehicles.
On the other hand, mechanical energy can be used in the form of electrical energy with the help of an electric generator. They plug in the AC socket and provide the power. The wonderful feature of combining these has resulted in the advent of recreation vehicles.
Let me tell you one thing that raises a question on this combination. Nowadays, many people are enjoying the journeys with this invention. However, according to some sources, generators have some restrictions and limitations too.
So can you run RV appliances on a generator? If yes, what is the maximum limit of power usage? What else do you need to know? The following article highlights the significance, pros, and cons of using generators to run RV appliances.
What makes generators worth considering for an RV?
Isn’t it obvious that moving out of the town into your own home is a mesmerizing experience?
Indeed, it is bliss. I bet wondering about the power that will run it is also important, isn’t it?
Generators are a great medium to supply power. Read how using generators can help in running RV appliances:
● Being independent sources of power, using RV generators ensures an uninterrupted power supply. This is in contrast to the campsites that offer utility hookups. Moreover, they don’t even have any power source to use. This benefit is the first and foremost if you are looking for a power source.
● Most of the RV generators work along with some other fuel sources. The hold here is that these sources are available in the market. You can install them as per your choice and preference. Consequently, your next trip would be an amazing outing.
● The next thing is the lightweight feature of the generator. While you draw power from this source, it doesn’t add weight to your setup. Seems pretty cool, right? Actually, it is really that cool.
There are different types of generators you can use for an RV. However, each of them has a set of pros and cons.
The question is, why not use the generators for driving RV? Despite the great advantages, there are some cons before using them.
The list well describes the types of generators as well as the reasons:
● Diesel generators offer the best advantages. From sourcing power for the generator as well as the fuel, diesel is an excellent choice. The second thing about this fuel is a cleaner fuel. In terms of power, it produces more output. The inflammable nature of the diesel also makes it an excellent choice as compared to others.
● The second fuel is liquid propane fuel. This one is also a cleaner fuel with cleaner emissions and an environmentally friendly nature. Added advantages are the properties of durability. You can store this one for longer as compared to others. The only disadvantage is its lesser efficiency towards delivering power output. What I mean is that the size of the fuel tank will decide the exact output.
● Gasoline, the most common fuel, is the most popular choice. The reasons include the affordable pricing and common availability. Then, there are some drawbacks like being flammable, shorter shelf life, and lesser fuel efficiency.
Cons of using generators for RV
There are some disadvantages or cons of using generators in an RV. Read out the reasons for them not being the best every time. The list of the cons goes on:
● Most of these are not environment-friendly. Even though they help in supplying power, they sometimes leave dust behind. That is why only a few of them qualify as cleaner fuels. By environment friendliness, the term describes leaving behind dust. Since it is not easy to clean on a large scale, these fuels don’t qualify as cleaner fuels.
● Cost is another disadvantage. Not everyone has enough resources to buy expensive fuels.
● Flammability of the property to catch fire with the help of a small source also restricts the usage of some of the fuels in RV as well as other media.
Factors affecting the running duration of RV generators
These are some factors affecting the running time of your RV. Since RV generators are slightly different from portable ones, learn what makes them different:
● As compared to portable generators, the RV generators offer more power output. Typically, this power difference range is 8000 watts-12000 watts. Most inbuilt generators use a higher range of power and are available in class A or C. The size of the tab will determine the availability of power output.
● Fuel source choices also influence the functioning of the RV generator. Using an expensive yet cleaner and power-saving fuel is better. On the other hand, using an economical fuel can lead to losses and lesser running hours.
● Emissions are an essential part of selecting the RV generator. A cleaner fuel will automatically contribute towards a higher power. Whereas the fuel of opposite nature isn’t suitable.
● The cost factor is an important one. An expensive fuel cannot necessarily be the best one. However, costs are an important parameter, and the selection must aim towards affordable selection.
● Maintenance of an RV generator is also essential. It is an inevitable investment. Be mindful of the investment that you need to input.
● Most portable generators are noisier than RV inverter generators. Since large portable models are not permissible in some places, try avoiding those models.
Run time estimates for famous RV generators
These factors describe what makes an RV generator worth using. Their selection will automatically define the running life of the RV generator. However, based on some facts, the running time of some generators is given below:
● Diesel generators or diesel RV generators can run for 8-24 hours on average. However, this span can vary depending upon the amount of fuel in the tank.
● A 30-pound propane fuel tank can function effectively for up to 8 hours. It also depends on the size of the tank, and you might have to switch the tank in case the fuel ends.
● Now, the gasoline tank can run for 8-20 hours without fail. This is possible until the tank starts running out of fuel. Next, you would automatically have to change the tank to increase the running time.
● The running time of most RV generators depends on the amount of fuel, size of the tank, noise, and the power being supplied at any given time.
● Also, the run time is dependent on the type of fuel you are using in the tank. So, make sure you have everything well planned.
What is the extract?
Talking about the summary of the article, the points derived are quite clear. Everything has been discussed, starting with the pros, cons, and factors affecting the run time of an RV generator.
With a clear understanding of the budget, fuel amount requirement, size, and some environment-friendly qualities, getting the best RV generator is possible.
Run time is an essential factor as it includes all your important things.
Also, the entire functioning of the RV is dependent on the generator selection. Since the run time is the most important factor, you need to pay a lot of attention.
All the factors increasing the generator run time must be kept in the majority. Recreation vehicles or RVs have recently come up and changed the mode of travel.
Easing all the restrictions of local transport, it has now become easier to eat in your own kitchen. Moreover, this dynamic mode of travel allows you to carry your home.
Isn’t it fantastic? Since this doesn’t come up easier, keep an eye on the power that runs it. Journeys now have a new mode, only if you know how to manage.
You may also like Best RV Battery